When I first started working with Lean, I mainly focused on Muda.
"Find the waste, measure it and eliminate it." That is what I heard from my superiors.
Waiting, defects, unnecessary movement and excess inventory were easy to spot. Mura and Muri, however, felt more theoretical.That changed once I started looking more closely at problems on the shop floor.
I realised that the waste we see is not always where the problem begins.
Muda is the visible waste.
Mura is unevenness, such as fluctuating workloads or changing priorities.
Muri is overburden, when people or equipment are pushed beyond a sustainable level.
In practice, they are often connected.
Uneven workloads create pressure. Under pressure, people and machines are more likely to make mistakes, experience breakdowns or create rework. What eventually becomes visible is Muda.
I have seen situations where a problem initially looked like a quality issue. The discussion immediately focused on work instructions, inspections and rework. But after looking at the wider process, the issue was not only related to quality. The workload was uneven, priorities were changing frequently and several jobs were arriving at the same time. Operators were trying to manage multiple demands while the process itself became increasingly unstable. The defects were visible. The conditions creating them were not.
This has changed how I approach improvement projects. When I identify waste, I no longer immediately ask, "How do we eliminate it?"
I first try to understand what is creating it. Is the workload uneven? Are priorities constantly changing? Are people or machines being overloaded? Not every problem can be explained by Mura and Muri. But focusing only on Muda can sometimes mean treating the symptom rather than the cause.
Muda is usually where we notice the problem. Mura and Muri are often where it is worth looking next.
Comments
No comments:
Post a Comment